Moonbots‎ > ‎1. Team Blog‎ > ‎

Stardate 2011.07.25 (Monday) - The Final Push!

posted Aug 17, 2011, 6:34 PM by Anant Narayanan

We were too busy working on our crises to notice that the clock is about to run out on us!

Our last full day of work, and it was not going well.  The dismount from the lander base was the only art that worked consistently.  The robot did not climb the ridge at the same spot.  The ultrasonic sensors which normally work well, gave erratic results.  The side mounted sensor, which works so well on a tribot, did not help our quad-track robot follow the panel walls.  Clearly it needed to be repositioned to be closer to the lead wheel, but we did not have enough time to tear the robot apart and rebuild it, and so we decided to try a different programming-based technique to compensate for suboptimal sensor positioning.

Everyone was discouraged.  We had not made much progress in the past two days!

In the evening, all parents pitched in to assemble a plastic pipe frame around the competition table to support the three side panels.  The setup looked grand.  It just needed a cooperative rover.

Finally, we had heard back from the Moonbots Administrators.  Fortunately for us, they were available to review us tomorrow.  While we were nowhere near where we wanted to be, everyone wanted to take the final evaluation/test, if at least to validate their efforts.

Comments