Moonbots‎ > ‎1. Team Blog‎ > ‎

Stardate 2011.07.23 (Saturday) - More Programming!

posted Aug 17, 2011, 6:32 PM by Anant Narayanan

We ran a number of tests to confirm that the rover could climb ridges and the crater consistently, and that its camera mount could take pictures of the lunar artifacts.  Point to point navigation was somewhat inconsistent, because of a combination of factors – the terrain nubs, the battery voltage, and the flex in the rubber tracks.  We needed more sensors to navigate the terrain, but we were almost out of time.  Maybe we could use a gyro sensor to make a “GPS” for the Moonbots terrain - an idea for next year.  We decided to use a third side-mounted ultrasonic sensor to drive a wall follower. 

Minyoung and Rohit completed the LDD model of the final robot design.  Everyone enjoyed blowing the model apart in space using the LDD feature.  Rohit took a lot of screenshots of the exploding rover.

In the evening, we glued backdrops on quarter-inch MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) panelboard in preparation for the final test/evaluation.  We also formally requested the Moonbots administrators for an early evaluation.  We also contacted Team Indus, another of the GLXP teams that we had liked, with a view to organizing an outreach event in India during our visit there.
Comments